Sunday, June 8, 2014

Poppy Seed Pound Cake with Brown Butter Glaze




 I made this cake ahead of time since I knew I would be very busy for the few days before it was to be posted. Froze it; took it out this afternoon to thaw and make the glaze fresh tomorrow morning and shoot the pictures. Sitting out on the porch, surfing the net and suddenly I see him with a piece of cake in his hand ( a piece? more like half the frickin cake!) and mouth stuffed with his first bite. SCREAM!!!! What are you doing, who told you you could eat that? It's not ready, I haven't taken any photos yet.....scream again ( mainly out of complete and utter frustration). 
Calm down, relax, keep your cool ( after I screamed of course). At least he gave me something to write about.  Look at the glass half full- not half empty. There is always a positive side to things. Not the end of the world , I know, but frustrated and amazed at how something like that can go over someone's head; or through it; or around it- whatever.
the evidence- at least you can see the beautiful poppy seed filling lacing through the cake!
Anyhoo- on with the task. This cake is wonderful for afternoon tea (coffee) or a light after dinner dessert. I love the fragrant hint of orange , both in the cake and glaze. Worth the effort for sure!




You can find the recipe here, at Baked Sunday Mornings.
Some exciting news for Baked fans- Matt and Renato are coming out with their fourth book!
It promises to be as amazing as the previous three. I already have it on pre-order from Amazon and can't wait!
Enjoy!
Baked Occasions: Desserts for Leisure Activities, Holidays, and Informal Celebrations
Baked Occasions: Desserts for Leisure Activities, Holidays, and Informal Celebrations

7 comments:

  1. Your cake is gorgeous! Last month my parents were visiting and I had baked something and picked out the prettiest pieces to photograph for my blog -- I walked away for a couple of minutes and couldn't find the plate with the bars and then noticed an empty plate with crumbs in the sink... My father had eaten them! I guess you have to take it as a compliment that whatever you baked looks so good that other folks can't resist eating it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - your poppy seed swirl is just perfect! And I love your story - it is a compliment, for sure!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Great story! And your cake looks wonderful Love the poppy seed swirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else's comments - your swirl looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks perfect! I actually love your photos with the slice cut out since you can see the swirl so well :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!