Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Jerusalem Culinary Tour # 2 - Mahane Yehuda





One of the many crowded streets in the market

Some of the most fascinating places to visit in Israel are the marketplaces, the "shuk". Every town and city has its own shuk, some are open every day , some just on certain days of the week. You can usually find a myriad of items for sale, from foods and spices, to kitchenware and gadgets, automobile paraphernalia, toys- really almost anything you are looking for.
Of all the markets I've been to, I think Mahane Yehuda, the main market in Jerusalem, is at the top of my favorites list. Although I had visited there many times before, this tour pointed out the rich history and almost storybook- like tales of the past.  It is truly a feeling of walking through live history. Although the market has been updated in many ways, such as a roof covering to protect from the weather, the essence of the streets and alleyways has remained the same. I could imagine the same scenes; different times, different dress, but still the enchanting atmosphere filled with the enticing smells of exotic spices, rich colored fruits and vegetables so fresh, they still have the soil of the earth on them, hot baked pitot and breads, trays of mouthwatering pastries and candies of all shapes and sorts imaginable- in short, a feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds!


freshly baked challot for Shabbat
pita dough waiting to be formed into balls


a tabune for making pita and the balls of dough ready to be baked

rolling the dough and flattening it out




almost ready to bake
placing the dough onto the hot tabune walls




an endless array of spices

laundry day

amazing wall art on Agrippas Street- I purposely photographed it with the real street on the side so you could see the contrast

more wall art- so alive!

The day was too short to take in all that the market has to offer, so I know I will be back with a more educated view, an appreciation of the people and traditions and a very large bag to carry all the goodies I intend to buy!
For more detailed information on the shuk, click here http://www.machne.co.il/en/


2 comments:

  1. So cool, Yael! I wish I would've had time to go there when I was in Jerusalem, but our visit was so short. It's on my list for next time-- I would LOVE all the freshly baked goodies, though honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the shuk in general. I am working on my Israel travel blog and hope to post it in the next week or so... I miss it so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, Yael! Thanks for taking us with you. I would so love to try that Pita fresh from the oven.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!