Sunday, January 27, 2013

Baked Sunday Mornings- Sunday Night Cake



Okay, so we post on Sunday mornings and this is called a Sunday Night Cake. It was actually made on Saturday morning so I'll call it a Saturday Morning Cake! It is so easy, peasy and so delicious that you can really make it 1-2-3 in the morning and have it for breakfast if you want.

This is the kind of recipe I love- easy to put together and very adaptable to a few little changes here and there to make it your "own". It calls for sour cream- didn't happen to have any, but did have a container of buttermilk that needed to be used. I substituted the same amount and I'm sure you could use yogurt as well.
I played around with the pan too, using these adorable little mini loaf pans I found. I have a problem going into stores that sell paper goods- I can't walk out empty-handed! Better have them on hand than have to look for something at the last minute. These are great for gift giving or if you just want a little cake and not have leftovers.
The original recipe calls for a chocolate frosting. I'm sure it would be great, but I preferred without and just a dusting of powdered sugar. The frosting sounds delicious and for another occasion, I would give it a try.
This cake has delicious cinnamon undertones- not overwhelming at all. Next time I will play around with the spices and see what interesting tastes I can come up with.
Even if you don't consider yourself a baker, I highly recommend trying this recipe. It's great to freeze and pull out at a moment's notice, and most important, easy and really yummy. I had a hard time stopping at just one piece!
You can find the recipe here.


8 comments:

  1. Yours looks great. I love how adaptable this cake is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to make them into mini loaves. And without the frosting it is more loaf like. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...this cake lends itself to lots of creativity. You might want to try the frosting sometime...it's quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So smart - I wish I would have done mini-loaf pans and no frosting. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks really nice! If you love chocolate be sure to try the frosting sometime. It is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely try this again as a coffee cake/loaf without the frosting... Yours looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just went to the Container Store for the first time last week - it was truly dangerous! I'm a geek for that kind of stuff but I did manage to control myself. The thing is, it's so great to have just the right pan/bag/box, etc. I like your choice of small loaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how the cake in the loaf pans, great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!